Medical terminology is the specific language utilized by professionals in the health world. Getting an understanding of it is important if you are entertaining thoughts to enter or have a job in the medical industry which includes medical billing and coding, medical transcription or medical assistants.
As a generality, this course would furnish you with a rounded knowledge of medical terms, from word origins to their application. You will learn the correct terms, pronunciations and spelling for all of the body systems, major pathological conditions, disorders, treatments, medications, etc.
Medical terminology is a collection of medical terms to define the human body and its numerous parts, conditions and processes. The largest part of the terminology derives either from Latin or Greek. After finishing this course, you would have the knowledge to define the term’s root, suffix and prefix.
This course is suitable and relevant for non-medical professionals who want to understand health-related terminologies to pursue a specialty in the healthcare or pharmaceutical industries. It is a fast and easy path to gain knowledge of medical vocabulary and meanings which are utilized by healthcare professionals all over.
There are classroom-type courses being offered out there, yet, there are schools and institutions effectively providing medical terminology online course. Yes, you can get this course via the internet, in the comfort of your own home. Many online certificate courses are offered in partnership with famous schools, colleges, universities, and other accredited providers.
In light of advances in the medical industry and an aging populace, the healthcare field is in continuous need of health professionals, particularly those with knowledge of medical terminology that is why this would be a beneficial course for students who are thinking of working in the healthcare industry, or who have the necessity to work together with doctors and other medical professionals.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define and distinguish essential word roots, prefixes, and suffixes.
- Describe human body orientation.
- Explain the human body condition in health and ailment.
- Identify terms relating to the cardiovascular system.
- Classify terms in relation to the digestive system.
- Classify words relating to the lymphatic system.
- Classify terminology relating to the musculoskeletal system.
- Define words relating to the nervous system.
- Characterize terms in relation to the respiratory system.
- Identify words in relation to the skin and sense organs.
- Characterize terminology in relation to the endocrine system and urinary systems.
- Classify terminology relating to the male and female reproductive systems, and
- Display mastery of course content at a very high level.
Providers of online medical terminology course provide different kind of courses depending on the students but it is generally catered to these types:
- Basic (some providers term this as 101)
- Intermediate (some providers term this as 201)
- Comprehensive 1 & 2 (Basic+Intermediate)
- Medical Terminology Course for Medical Coders (exclusive to medical coding industry)
If you are indeed thinking of going into the medical industry, a medical terminology online course is a sensible direction to build your foundation. It would be a perfect preparation for a highly gratifying job in the health industry.